Apply to American University: Accredited university partner
We maximize your chance of getting admitted to your chosen universities. Reduced application fees, a free assessment and access to a dedicated advisor.
Why use Studee?
Find your ideal program
Filter 10,000s of programs down to a shortlist perfect for you, where you have a strong chance of getting admitted
Apply online via Studee
Complete our application form and enjoy reduced application fees and access to unique Studee scholarships for many universities
We assess within 48hrs
We complete an 85-point assessment within 2 business days, help you with improvements then submit to your university
University offer in 2-4 weeks
We chase the university for your admission decision and keep you updated. We all celebrate your admission!
All our services are 100% free as we're funded by universities. You pay deposits and tuition fees directly to the university.
Study abroad at American University
American University (AU) is a student-centered research university located in Washington, DC, USA. It offers a wide range of degree programs at all levels, including bachelor's, master's and doctorate.
You can join AU's International Accelerator program, which is designed specifically to help international students adjust to life in Washington. Classes are designed around your academic and English language skill level, and you will learn alongside other international students. There are more than 65 undergraduate and 20 postgraduate degree programs you can choose from.
International students can also take the one year American Collegiate program which combines small, academic courses with personalized support. After the successful completion of the program you'll be able to transfer to a top US or world university.
Why study at AU?
- Student staff ratio
The student-to-faculty ratio at AU is just 11:1
- Qualified faculty
94% of full-time teaching faculty hold the highest degree in their field
- Top 100 university
AU is ranked as the 76th best national university (US News and World Report 2021)
Life as an international student
American University is home to students from all 50 states, and 124 countries, giving it a welcoming and diverse community.
As an international student on the International Accelerator or American Collegiate program, you'll get comprehensive academic support and dedicated advisors will be available to help from the day you arrive to the completion of your program.
You will also get help from transfer advisors to identify your academic goals and work out which transfer university is right for you. American Collegiate students will live in off-campus housing close to campus in Washington, DC. You can also join one or more of the University's 150 student clubs and organizations - a great way to meet new people and make friends.
Student life & facilities
Fees and funding
Emerging Global Leader Scholarship The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. Bringing together the best of AU - academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement - the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision.
- Amount: Covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room, and board) for one international student who will need a non-immigrant visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States. The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, and miscellaneous expenses
- Requirements: International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds. A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades. A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and to advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Amount: These awards offer waivers ranging from twelve credits to full tuition each year
- Requirements: Talented international master's and doctoral students may qualify for Graduate Merit Awards through their departments
- Undergraduate tuition: USD$55,724 per year
- Graduate tuition: USD$34,596 per year
- MBA Program: USD$46,128 per year
- Master of Law (LLM): USD$36,704 per year
- Pathway programs: USD$22,302 per program
4400 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016, United States
Strategically located in a beautiful residential district of Washington, DC, the campus‚ is an accredited arboretum that combines the advantages of a traditional college setting with the energy, culture, and opportunities of a global capital city.
Visa requirements for American University
Many international students will require a visa to study in the US, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.USA student visa requirements