By clicking on or navigating the site, you agree to allow us to collect information on and off Studee through cookies. Studee cookies policy

How to apply for a Spain student visa

If you’re from outside the EU, EEA or Switzerland and studying in Spain for more than six months, you’ll need a type D student visa and student residence card (TIE - Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero).

The Spain student visa application cost is €60.

EU, EEA and Swiss students will still need to obtain a NIE (identification number for foreigners): for this you need to register at an immigration office when you arrive in Spain.

Spanish student visa process

  1. Accept an offer: When you have accepted an offer from a university you can go to a Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country to apply for a visa.
  2. Contact your nearest embassy/consulate: You have to apply in person for a Spanish visa, and depending on the embassy you may need to schedule an appointment. Ask which documents you will need for your application so you are prepared.
  3. Submit your documents: Take your required documents to the embassy or consulate and fill in the visa application form.
  4. Get a decision: It takes around a month to get a decision on your student visa.
  5. Register with immigration: When you arrive in the EU you have 30 days to apply for a Spanish Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) and receive a NIE number at your nearest Oficina de Extranjeros or police station. This will need renewing each academic year. Your academic performance can affect the renewal of your TIE.

Spain student visa requirements (type D)

What you need to provide for your student visa and residence card will depend on your home country, but can include:

  • A valid passport to be current throughout the whole time of your stay in Spain
  • Letter of acceptance from the university
  • A copy of all the passport's pages
  • A recent passport style color photo
  • Confirmation of school/university registration issued by the academic institution in Spain
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Proof of your financial situation — bank statements and any scholarship details if necessary
  • A medical certificate issued by a doctor
  • A negative criminal record check from the countries you have lived in for the past five years

Visas for dependents of students

Your spouse or children under 18 can usually join you in Spain if you are there on a study visa for more than six months. You will need to show that you can financially support them as well as yourself and your course fees.

They need to register at the local Oficina de Extranjeros for their TIE, and are not automatically eligible to work in Spain.

Working in Spain with a student visa

You can work up to 20 hours a week in Spain provided that you have the correct work permit and it does not interfere with your studies. It’s also worth noting that you cannot be undertaking work as the only means of supporting yourself whilst in Spain.

Before beginning work you need to receive the correct permit from Spain’s immigration authorities. The application for this can be completed at an Oficina de Extranjeros and you should speak with them before to ensure you know the exact process and have all the relevant documents. Receiving your permit may take a long time so you should apply as soon as possible.

EU / EEA students do not need a work permit for Spain.