Many international students studying in Hungary will require a residence permit to stay in the country long enough to finish their chosen qualification.
When you have accepted a place at a university you will need to contact the nearest Hungarian embassy or consulate to know the exact student visa process and requirements for your nationality.
EU students studying in Hungary will simply need to register at the regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Nationality if they are staying in the country for more than 90 days.
Hungary student visa process
- Accept an offer to study at a Hungarian university
- Contact your nearest Hungary embassy or consulate to arrange for your type D visa appointment (no more than three months before your program starts)
- At the embassy or consulate provide a completed application form, passport, biometrics and application fee of €60
- Provide any necessary proof of your educational background and finances
- Wait up to a month, and receive a decision on your visa
- Travel to Hungary and collect your residence permit within 30 days
Requirements for a Hungary student visa and residence permit
When applying for a visa or residence permit to study in Hungary you may need the following:
- University acceptance letter
- Proof of any money sent to the university for fees or accommodation
- Proof of finances
- Translated and certified education transcripts
- An English language proficiency test score
- Health insurance
- Details of your accommodation arrangements in Hungary
Working on a Hungary student visa
Working part-time in Hungary can be difficult for international students as most jobs will require fluency in Hungarian.
EU students can work without limitation in Hungary, whereas non-EU international students will need to obtain a permit.
Hungary visas for student dependents
Once you are settled in Hungary, you may be able to start the process for your spouse or children to come to Hungary and live with you. The main requirement for this is that you can support them financially and they are able to come to Hungary under family reunification.