Fashion Design and Technology
Full program details & costs, with admission requirements. Discover your dream program.Speak to a personal advisor (free service)
- University: RMIT University
- Melbourne, Australia
- Duration: 24 months
Tuition fees per year -
Total tuition fees -
Program type Associate
Language taught in English
Start date February, July
What RMIT University says about their program:
"Your journey starts here. You will develop creative and technical skills while working closely with the fashion industry. Study design, pattern making and cutting-edge technology to produce everything from ready-to-wear through to made-to-measure fashion.
You'll learn to blend theory with practice through a series of industry-driven and live international projects and activities.
Through your studies you will gain the skills required to be industry-ready, developing the knowledge and know-how to secure jobs in the fashion industry – especially in computer-aided design (CAD) and the global supply chains.
You will develop a broad range of skills and study the underpinning theory of the design process, including fashion range development, trend research, specification development, design and production management, and pattern and garment construction skills.
In your studies you will learn:
fashion design and drawing computer-aided design patternmaking and grading computer-aided patternmaking and grading fashion trend research production planning specifications garment construction supply chain management sustainability You will also work on design briefs from local and international companies such as Alpha60, Cotton On, Denimsmith, Etal, Bizwear and Nobody Denim, working to specifications relating to demographic, colour, fabric, trends and budget. These experiences will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to work locally or internationally as part of a design team or to start your own business. This program will unlock your creative potential, enabling you to pursue a career in fashion design or start your own fashion business.
Graduate successes Brian Khoo Owner “Brian Khoo”, Malaysia (previously Design Assistant for Christian Dior Couture, Paris) Linden Blick Designer, Cotton On Jodie Hayes Co-creator and designer of indie ocean activewear label U&I Paul Cordero Draper and patternmaker at Chloé, Paris"
Find out the requirements you need to meet to get into an RMIT program as an international student, including academic scores and English proficiency.
IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.5) / TOEFL 79 / PTE 54 / CAE - 176 (no less than 169 in any component) - depending on the program
Students from English speaking countries may have the requirement waived.
Pathway Program through English Language School available for students who do not meet the English requirement.
University entry requirements
RMIT University admits students on the basis of their demonstrated capacity to succeed and sets minimum entry requirements for each level of study (e.g. diploma or bachelor degree), including:
- the minimum age requirement
- the minimum English language requirement
You can view minimum academic entry requirements for each level of study:
The University’s minimum academic entry requirement for bachelor and associate degrees is the successful completion of one the following:
- Australian Year 12 (Victoria) - The Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Australian Year 12 (other states) - The Australian Senior Certificate of Education for the State deemed equivalent to the VCE
- New Zealand Year 13 qualifications - The National Certificate of Educational Achievement
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma - Satisfactory completion of the International Baccalaureate, including English
- Foundation Studies - A Foundation Studies program offered by a registered TAFE, university or private provider that is accredited as a certificate IV or compliant with the Australian National Standards for Foundation Studies
- International secondary schooling - A qualification recognized by RMIT as equivalent to an Australian Senior Certificate of Education
- Australian higher education studies - Satisfactory completion, on an award or non-award basis at any university (including Open Universities Australia), of at least two programs (subjects) at undergraduate level equivalent in volume of learning to at least 24 RMIT University credit points
- International tertiary studies - Satisfactory completion of study equivalent to at least 48 RMIT credit points in a program assessed as equivalent to an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) qualification of level 5
- Australian vocational education studies (VET/TAFE) - The satisfactory completion of an AQF accredited award at Certificate IV or above
The University entry requirement for graduate certificates, vocational graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, vocational graduate diplomas and master by coursework programs is that you must hold:
- a bachelor degree, or
- an appropriate level of advanced professional experience relevant to the discipline area
Selection tasks (extra requirements)
For some programs you need to complete selection tasks as part of your application.
Selection tasks might include:
- submitting a portfolio
- completing a supplementary information form or pre-selection kit
- attending an interview
February Semester - application deadline ongoing July Semester - application deadline ongoing
Students will be advised on submitting applications early due to visa processing times
Fees and funding
RMIT offers a range of scholarships to commencing international students across all fields of study.
Undergraduate Tuition - AUS$10,500 - 67,200 / year (US$7,490 - 29,240 / year)
Postgraduate Tuition - AUS$30,720 - 67,200 / year or program (US$18,487 - 47,970 / year or program)
International Excellence Scholarship (only 36 available) of 20% tuition fee reduction
- Achieve an overall 70% or equivalent in last completed qualification
Deadlines for applications: February Semester - January 15 July Semester - May 31
Visa requirements for RMIT University
Many international students will require a visa to study in Australia, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.Australia student visa requirements