Criminology and Psychology - BSc
Full program details & costs, with admission requirements. Discover your dream program.
What RMIT University says about their program:
"This combination of an accredited psychology major with an applied criminology major prepares you for a variety of roles where dealing with people is paramount.
Have you ever wondered why people engage in offending behaviour? In this degree, you will develop an understanding of the psychology of crime, be able to conduct forensic interviews and provide case management for offenders, victims and clients with complex needs.
You’ll learn key communication, risk assessment, behavioural analysis and research skills and gain a strong understanding of psychological theories and practice.
On completion of the degree you will have developed the emotional and intellectual resources required for a challenging but rewarding career in the justice and human services fields.
Building block to psychology
This degree can be used a first step to becoming a psychologist. To become a psychologist, you need to complete further study at honours and master levels."
Find out the requirements you need to meet to get into an RMIT program as an international student, including academic scores and English proficiency.
- IELTS 6.0 (no band less than 5.5)
- TOEFL iBT
Overall score 60 (with minimum score of 10 in Reading, 9 in Listening, 16 in Speaking and 19 in Writing)
- PTE (A) 50
- CAE 169 (with no less than 162 in any component)
- IELTS 7.0 (no band less than 6.5)
- TOEFL iBT
Overall score 94 (with minimum score of 19 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 20 in Speaking and 24 in Writing)
- PTE (A) 65
- CAE 185 (with no less than 176 in any component)
- IELTS 8.0 (no band below 7.5)
- TOEFL iBT
Overall score 110 (with minimum score of 27 in Reading, 27 in Listening, 24 in Speaking and 29 in Writing)
- PTE (A) 79
- CAE 200 (with no less than 191 in any component)
Students from English speaking countries may have the requirement waived. The validity period for English proficiency tests for admission to RMIT academic programs is 3 years prior to program commencement.
Pathway Program through English Language School available for students who do not meet the English requirement.
Free placement test for students at RMIT Training: RMIT Training offers a free placement test for students who do not have a valid Academic IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE result. Placement test results can be used to receive an offer to study English for Academic Purposes at RMIT English Worldwide (REW)
University entry requirements
RMIT University admits students on the basis of their demonstrated capacity to succeed and sets minimum entry requirements for each level of study (e.g. diploma or bachelor degree), including:
- the minimum age requirement
- the minimum English language requirement
You can view minimum academic entry requirements for each level of study:
The University’s minimum academic entry requirement for bachelor and associate degrees is the successful completion of one the following:
- Australian Year 12 (Victoria) - The Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
- Australian Year 12 (other states) - The Australian Senior Certificate of Education for the State deemed equivalent to the VCE
- New Zealand Year 13 qualifications - The National Certificate of Educational Achievement
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma - Satisfactory completion of the International Baccalaureate, including English
- Foundation Studies - A Foundation Studies program offered by a registered TAFE, university or private provider that is accredited as a certificate IV or compliant with the Australian National Standards for Foundation Studies
- International secondary schooling - A qualification recognized by RMIT as equivalent to an Australian Senior Certificate of Education
- Australian higher education studies - Satisfactory completion, on an award or non-award basis at any university (including Open Universities Australia), of at least two programs (subjects) at undergraduate level equivalent in volume of learning to at least 24 RMIT University credit points
- International tertiary studies - Satisfactory completion of study equivalent to at least 48 RMIT credit points in a program assessed as equivalent to an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) qualification of level 5
- Australian vocational education studies (VET/TAFE) - The satisfactory completion of an AQF accredited award at Certificate IV or above
The University entry requirement for graduate certificates, vocational graduate certificates, graduate diplomas, vocational graduate diplomas and master by coursework programs is that you must hold:
- a bachelor degree, or
- an appropriate level of advanced professional experience relevant to the discipline area
Selection tasks (extra requirements)
For some programs you need to complete selection tasks as part of your application.
Selection tasks might include:
- submitting a portfolio
- completing a supplementary information form or pre-selection kit
- attending an interview
February Semester - application deadline ongoing July Semester - application deadline ongoing
Students will be advised on submitting applications early due to visa processing times
Fees and funding
RMIT offers a range of scholarships to commencing international students across all fields of study.
International Tuition Fee Bursary
- The International Tuition Fee Bursary will cover 10% of eligible RMIT international student tuition fees for Semester 1 2022
- Bursary automatically applied to tuition fees after census date
Student must be enrolled in classes with a census date between 1 January - 30 June 2022
International Excellence Scholarship of 20% tuition fee reduction
- Achieve an overall 70% or equivalent in the last completed qualification
Deadlines for applications: February Semester - January 15 July Semester - May 31
Pathway to Victoria Scholarship
The Pathway to Victoria Scholarship has been made possible by funding from the Victorian Government through Study Melbourne. It is available to new commencing international students with a packaged offer letter. The total value of the scholarship is AU$2,500, a one-off payment to be paid into RMIT student account after the census date of first pathway program towards tuition fees.
Visa requirements for RMIT University
Many international students will require a visa to study in Australia, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.Australia student visa requirements