Art (Drawing and Painting) - BFA
Full program details & costs, with admission requirements. Discover your dream program.
What the University of Southern Mississippi says about their program:
"The department offers two distinct degree programs that include a broad range of opportunities for preparation in either traditional or professional career paths. These undergraduate degree tracks are:
Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), a broadly based, traditional arts program offered in general Art studies.
Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.), professional career preparation in Drawing & Painting, Graphic Design, or Sculpture."
For more information about the admission requirements at the University of Southern Mississippi, please see below.
- TOEFL 71 / IELTS 6.0
- SAT is also valid 500 or higher on reading/writing
- Completed English C or better
- IB Diploma
- Graduate students can submit PTE, minimum score 54
Strong Freshman applicants will present a 2.5 minimum GPA in core academic subjects. Freshman applicants must complete a required core curriculum of courses during their secondary school education to be admitted to the University. The basic core requirements are:
- 4 units of English
- 3 units of mathematics
- 3 units of sciences
- 3 units of social studies
- 2 units of advanced electives
- 1/2 unit of computer applications
Most foreign education systems do not follow the same core curriculum as taught in US high schools, so each applicant will be evaluated on criteria particular to the educational system of the country in which they completed their studies.
- Undergraduate International Online Application
- $40 nonrefundable application fee (online payment, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express accepted)
- Official secondary/high school transcripts, graduation certificates or diplomas AND college/university transcripts of all colleges or universities attended since high school graduation
- Transfer applicants must submit official transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution and a credential evaluation completed by an NACES accredited service
- Official TOEFL (School Code
1479) or IELTS scores sent by the testing agency
- Only required for students graduating from a high school in the US
Official SAT (School Code
Admission is competitive and based on a holistic review of the applicant’s credentials by departments. The University sets minimum requirements for regular admission into graduate school, including:
- Online Application
- $60 non-refundable application fee
- Minimum GPA of 2.75/4.00 on the last 60 hours of undergraduate coursework
- Good standing at last university attended
- Official transcripts and degree certificates or diplomas from all previous colleges or universities attended
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Official copy of GRE, GMAT, or MAT score from testing service
- Three letters of recommendation (upload to application file)
- Statement of Purpose or writing sample (according to departmental requirements)
- Immunization records (required prior to enrolling in classes if admitted)
Individual graduate programs may have additional or more stringent requirements.
Fall Semester (August) - deadline June 1 (December 1 for Scholarships) Spring Semester (January) - deadline November 1
Fees and funding
Southern Mississippi is one of the most affordable public research institutions of its kind. Annual non-resident tuition is kept at an affordable rate of only $2,000 more than the resident tuition rate. The University prides itself in being able to offer affordable access to education for all.
Merit and Honors College scholarships are available to international students and range from a total of $2,000-$4,000 per year. Freshman Merit and Honors College scholarships are only awarded for Fall and require admission by December 1st with qualifying SAT or ACT results for consideration. International applicants may also apply to a wide range of departmental scholarships through the USM Scholarship Foundation.
Merit and Honors College scholarships are available to international students and range from a total of $2,000-$4,000 per year.
Freshman Merit and Honors College scholarships are only awarded for Fall and require admission by December 1st with qualifying SAT or ACT results for consideration.
- GPA 3.0
- SAT 1060
Visa requirements for University of Southern Mississippi
Many international students will require a visa to study in the US, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.USA student visa requirements