Academic English Language Program
Full program details & costs, with admission requirements. Discover your dream program.Speak to a personal advisor (free service)
What North Island College says about their program:
"Gain the skills you need to speak and understand English in a post-secondary academic environment. Upon completion of Advanced and College Prep levels, and meeting all other program entry requirements, you can begin your certificate, diploma, associate degree, bachelor degree university transfer pathway or post-degree diploma at North Island College."
Each year, hundreds of students from countries around the world choose to make Vancouver Island their home away from home. Please see below, the requirements required in order to join them.
- TOEFL 80 (no section less than 19)
- IELTS 6.0 (no individual band less than 5.5)
- PTE Academic 54 minimum with no component less than 46
- Be 18 years of age or older within the calendar year in which they are applying to study.
- Consideration may be given for younger students who have completed high school and meet all other admission requirements.
- Meet the English language requirement or complete the Academic English Language program offered at NIC. English language proficiency results must be taken within the last two years.
- Meet other academic and admission requirements for your chosen program.
Admission Requirements (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- C+ in one of Provincial English 12, English Studies 12, English First Peoples 12, NIC ENG-060, ENG-096, or ENG-098, or ESL-090; or English assessment; and
- C+ in Foundations of Math 11 or NIC MAT-055; or C in one of Principles of Math 11, Pre-Calculus 11, Applications of Math 12, NIC MAT-053; or Math Assessment;
- Or, CPA-CGA designation to enter CPA Bridging Pathway;
- Or, CPA-CMA designation to enter CPA Bridging Pathway;
- Or, permission of the department.
- Fall term
between May 15 and June 15
- Winter term
between September 15 and October 15
- Spring term
between January 15 and February 15
Fees and funding
NIC Foundation administers several awards ranging from $100 to $3,000 each, totaling more than $290,000 in recognition of outstanding students. Financial awards are available for new and continuing students both internally and externally for new and continuing students. Most awards or scholarships are available after the first semester of study as they are dependent on competitive grades reflective of the student's academic achievement.
NIC offers entrance awards for applicants with high levels of English language proficiency. All applicants are automatically reviewed for this award, therefore no award application is required. Students in receipt of this award will be notified upon enrollment.
Entrance Award: IELTS Entrance Awards whereby students are automatically assessed upon application.
- IELTS 7.0 Award = $500
- IELTS 7.5 Award = $1,000
- IELTS 8.0 Award = $1,500
Scholarships and Awards: Available after the first semester of study at NIC. They would receive their first grades in December/January and the deadline for scholarships is April.
Visa requirements for North Island College
Many international students will require a visa to study in Canada, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.Canada student visa requirements