Study abroad at the University of Canterbury
The University of Canterbury (UC) is a vibrant and innovative university based in the heart of Christchurch, New Zealand. It aims to give all students an excellent educational foundation that they'll be able to turn into an amazing career.
UC offers a wide range of degree programs at pretty much every level, including certificate, diploma, bachelor’s, master’s, and PhD. No matter what your dream subject, you’re bound to find something in one of Canterbury's five colleges covering arts, business and law, education, health and human development, engineering, and science.
The facilities offered on campus at UC are second to none, and allow students to reach their full potential inside and outside of the classroom. There is a range of learning spaces, libraries, health and sports facilities, and businesses around campus available to all students.
The University’s friendly and inclusive campus community encourages you to do what you love. UC offers more than 100 exciting clubs and societies you can join, including sports teams, and there’s a range of cafes, restaurants, and bars where you can meet friends.
Why study at the University of Canterbury?
- Top-ranked university
The University of Canterbury is a prestigious institution that’s ranked in the world’s top 300 universities (QS 2021)
- First-class research
UC has awarding-winning researchers who supervise and collaborate with students
- Great location
Christchurch is seen as one of the most forward-thinking cities in the world
- Holistic learning
UC7 is the university's seven dimensions that will prepare you to change the world
Life as an international student
The University of Canterbury is a truly diverse place - there are more than 100 nationalities on campus, with more than 50% of academic staff born overseas, making it one of the most international universities in New Zealand.
As an international student at UC, you’ll be supported from the day you arrive. The University offers a vast array of support services, including health and wellbeing services, financial support, legal assistance, and help to adjust to your new life from the Student Care Team.
Accommodation is available on campus for all international students and is the perfect way to settle into life at UC. The leafy campus is in one of the safest cities in the world, and there are loads of student clubs you can join to meet like-minded people and make new friends.
Student life & facilities
How Studee can help you
University & program searchFind the right program for you and your career aspirations
Application guidanceWe'll get you to the right place to start your application
Visa & travel adviceGet help after application, all the way to your first day at university
Our team of advisors is ready to support you at every step of your study abroad journey.
Our services are 100% free for students like you because we're funded by universities.
Fees and funding
From NZ$21,500 to NZ$44,000 per year
From NZ$13,000 to NZ$86,900 per year
From NZ$7,099 to NZ$8,552 per year
UC College of Engineering International Scholarship
- Amount - NZ$15,000
- Requirements - Full-time enrolment in any year of a programme for a BE(Hons) degree
UC International First Year Scholarship
- Amount - NZ$15,000
- Requirements - Full-time enrolment in a first year of a programme for an undergraduate degree at the University of Canterbury
UC Product Design Scholarship
- Amount - NZ$5,000 for up to 2 years
- Requirements - Full-time enrolment in the first and second years of a program for an undergraduate degree in one of the following
Bachelor of Product Design (BProdDesign), Conjoint Bachelor of Product Design and Bachelor of Commerce (BProdDesign/BCom), or Conjoint Bachelor of Product Design and Bachelor of Science (BProdDesign/BSc)
CWF Hamilton and Co Ltd Master's Scholarship in Mechanical Engineering
- Amount - NZ$16,500
- Requirements - This scholarship supports study towards a Master of Engineering (ME) degree in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Canterbury
Barbara Kathryn Ell Travel Award
- Amount - Grants of $500 to $1,500 are available from an annual total fund of at least $3,000
- Requirements - Full-time enrolment at the University in a program for an honors, master’s, or doctoral degree in History or Political Science.
Bickerton-Widdowson Trust Memorial Scholarship
- Amount - Financial assistance with the costs associated with university study, up to a value of $2,000
- Requirements - Must be enrolled in a programme of study in the School of Fine Arts at the University of Canterbury
Brian Mason Doctoral Scholarship
- Amount - Financial assistance with the costs associated with university study, at a value of $25,000 per annum for three years. Tuition fees at the New Zealand domestic rate
- Requirements - Full-time enrolment in a programme for a PhD degree in Geology at the University of Canterbury
Betty Wignall Scholarship in Chemistry
- Amount - Financial assistance with the costs associated with university study, at a value of $5,000 per 120 points of thesis enrolment
- Requirements - Full-time or part-time enrolment in a programme for a PhD degree in Chemistry at the University of Canterbury
University of Canterbury
20 Kirkwood Avenue, Upper Riccarton, Christchurch 8041, New Zealand
Christchurch is an exciting modern city with everything you’d want as an international student. There's an abundance of parks and green spaces, cinemas, theatres, sports venues, and live music performances.
Visa requirements for the University of Canterbury
Many international students will require a visa to study in New Zealand, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.New Zealand student visa requirements