Study abroad at the University of Turku
The University of Turku is an international research university based in Turku, Finland. It has cemented its position as one of the country’s top institutions thanks to its research-based programs and expert faculty.
Eight faculties come together to offer an array of outstanding research and study opportunities. There are currently three bachelor’s degrees and 17 master’s degrees offered in English. Depending on your dream career, you could study anything from law and medicine to engineering and education.
Despite its compact size, the University’s campus has everything you’ll need to reach your goals. You’ll have access to excellent IT facilities and extensive library holdings, as well as comfortable housing.
Known as the campus that never sleeps, there’s always something going on at the University of Turku. You’ll have plenty of cultural and sporting activities to get involved in during your spare time. The active Student’s Union also arranges several events and excursions throughout the year.
Why study at the University of Turku?
- Top-ranked university
The University of Turku is ranked in the top 1% of universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings, 2021)
- Great student city
99% of students would recommend studying in Turku to their friends
- Student satisfaction
95% of graduates report receiving a high-quality education in line with their career goals
- Ground-breaking research
The University works closely with international partners to publish 5,500 annual research papers
Life as an international student
The University of Turku is home to 2,500 international students from over 100 countries. You’ll be welcomed from the very moment you step foot in Turku and supported throughout your study abroad journey.
The University provides a breadth of support services, including career planning and academic advising. You can also improve your Finnish language skills by taking a course at the Center for Language and Communication Studies.
If you’re eager to learn more about the Finnish way of life, you can participate in the International Friendship Program. You’ll be partnered with a member of the local community who can show you around your new home and teach you about Finnish culture.
Student reviews for the University of Turku
University of Turku Biomedical Sciences
- Tell us about the University of Turku
- Generally speaking, everything is amazing in the university! Everything is provided to students and it is easy to communicate with faculty members.
University of Turku Education
- Tell us about the University of Turku
- The University of Turku offers small classes and state-of-the-art study and research facilities. There are many different campus libraries, each with its own vibe, but all with comfortable and spacious working areas. The thing I have been most impressed with at UTU is how efficient the university administration is! Student housing is close to campus and is very affordable, compared to prices on the private market. Despite its low price, the apartments are in excellent condition and the apartment management company is very responsive to maintenance requests. The university is close to shops and restaurants, and only a few kilometres from the city centre. Your student card gets you significant discounts on everything from bus tickets and groceries to laptops, clothing and nightclubs. There are many active student societies and they are generally welcoming to newcomers.
Student life & facilities
How Studee can help you
University & program searchFind the right program for you and your career aspirations
Application guidanceWe'll get you to the right place to start your application
Visa & travel adviceGet help after application, all the way to your first day at university
Our team of advisors is ready to support you at every step of your study abroad journey.
Our services are 100% free for students like you because we're funded by universities.
Fees and funding
- Undergraduate tuition - €13,500 per year
- Graduate tuition - €2,000 - €12,000 per year
The University offers a generous scholarship program for students who are subject to tuition fees. The scholarship is awarded to students in the master's and bachelor's programs in the following categories:
For master’s degree programs
- 2-year scholarship that covers the entire tuition fee for 2 academic years for master’s degree programs.
- 2-year scholarship that covers 50% of the tuition fee for 2 academic years for master’s degree programs.
- 1-year scholarship for outstanding performance during the 1st study year. The scholarship covers the 2nd year tuition fee.
For bachelor’s degree programs
- 3-year scholarship that covers the entire tuition fee for 3 academic years for bachelor’s degree programs.
- 3-year scholarship that covers 50 % of the tuition fee for 3 academic years for bachelor’s degree programs.
- 2-year scholarship for outstanding performance during the 1st study year. The scholarship covers the 2nd and 3rd-year tuition fees.
- 1-year scholarship for outstanding performance during the 1st and 2nd study year. The scholarship covers the 3rd year tuition fee.
A scholarship will be granted to up to 30% of the admitted students who are subject to tuition fees and have applied for a scholarship.
University of Turku
20500 Turku, Finland
Turku is Finland’s oldest student city with spectacular scenery, including national parks, hiking trails, and beaches. It is also a lively hub of music, theater, film, food, and sports.
Visa requirements for the University of Turku
Many international students will require a visa to study in Finland, and this is a vital step of your study abroad journey. Make sure you understand the requirements you may need to meet before applying.Finland student visa requirements